Yemen, Taiz. 22 November 2016. Early this morning heavy clashes have taken place between the Houthi forces and the Popular Resistance by the Al-Han mountain at the entrance of Taiz. The Houthi were able to control the Al-Han mountain for a few hours, thus controlling the only road leading to the western part of Taiz, a strategic artery for the control of the city. The Popular Resistance was then able to regain the mountain from the Houthi. The Houthi forces fought to regain parts of the air defence camp lost yesterday to the popular Resistance, but were prevented in doing so by the coalition air strikes. A speaker from the Popular Resistance has told Images Live that six Houthi members were killed during the latest fighting. Today’s fighting in Yemen was part of renewed clashes which have taken place between the Houthi forces and the Yemen Popular Resistance in Taiz after a 48 hours truce had ended in the city.
According to a statement to Images Live by Abdu Hammud Al-Sughair, the commander of the Western Front of the Popular Resistance, the Houthi rebels had not abided by the truce and had breached the cease fire a number of times forcing the Popular Resistance forces to defend their positions; the popular Resistance was then able to advance on different fronts.
As the timing of the ceasefire came to an end on Monday, the Popular Resistance attacked an air defence camp which was previously controlled by the Houthi forces. The Popular Resistance was able to capture big sections of the air defence camp overlooking the western side of the city. Eight Houthi rebels were killed, as well as a member of the Popular Resistance. Eight members of the Popular Resistance were also injured in the clashes.
The Saudi Arabia coalition spokesmen had declared on Saturday, after the announcement of a 48-hour truce in Yemen, that the truce would be extended if the Houthis and allied forces loyal to former Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh were to respect the truce.
On Monday General Ahmed Assiti stated that the ceasefire had ended and that it was not to be extended due to repeated violations by the rebels. Although the coalition and Yemen’s Saudi-backed government accused the Houthis of committing truce violations, Houthi spokesmen said the coalition had violated the ceasefire, hence two sides have blamed each other for a series of violations.
The truce was part of the Muscat agreement according to which the two sides had pledged to halt hostilities and start peace negotiations in order to reach a national unity government by the end of the year.
Photographer: Abdulnasser Alseddik/Images Live
Report: Tina Lozio/Images Live
Editor: Anna Samuels/Images Live